Programs and Services
In an emergency call 911
24 Hour Support and Crisis Line – Counsellors are available 24 hours a day
Toll Free: 1-800-263-3725
- You want to talk to a counsellor anytime of the day or night
- You have questions or would like to talk to someone about your options, even if you aren’t planning to stay at The Denise House
- You want immediate support and assistance to deal with a dangerous situation – assistance calling 911
- You feel that you and your children are ready to leave and wish to go to a safe place
- Secure Emergency Shelter for women and children fleeing abuse of any kind (whether physical, emotional, sexual or financial) 24 hours a day, 365 days a year
- Confidential 24 hour crisis and supportive assistance by telephone or in person at the shelter
- Emergency transportation to the shelter
- Food, clothing and basic personal necessities
- Supportive counselling for women; safety planning; goal planning
- Children’s Program staff to support your children
- Help finding community resources and supports
- Legal and court support referrals and information about your rights
- Assistance with Special Priority for rent geared to income housing
- Language interpretation can be arranged with notice
Crisis Counselling and Transitional Support
24 Hour Support & Crisis Line: 1-800-263-3725
Support and Crisis Counselling
We listen to and support women who are living in – or wondering about leaving – an abusive relationship. We offer counselling to support women to establish their violence-free lives.
- You are unsure if your relationship is healthy
- You are wondering what to do or what can be done
- You would like to create a safety plan for you and your family
- You are looking for counselling to understand the effects of abuse
- You want support for referrals for legal and court appointments
- You would like counsellors to provide more information and referrals to other community and social services
Counsellors are available by appointment during office hours.
Our Confidential Services Include:
- Crisis counselling – by phone or in person
- Help with accessing emergency accommodations
- Emergency transportation to safety
- Planning for safety and/or change
- Housing search support
- Referrals to job training, education, counselling
- Accompaniment to appointments
Community Child and Youth Worker
The Community Child and Youth Worker is available to support children and youth ages 5-18 through issues of family change, recognizing healthy and unhealthy relationships, positive ways to express their feelings, healthy ways to release and overcome feelings of anger as well as building positive self- esteem.
The Community Child and Youth Worker will assess and offer group opportunities as well as individual support according to the needs of each child/youth.
One of the groups offered is The Mom and Me Program, which is designed for children ages 5-14, along with their moms, who would like to participate in a supportive group environment, learning tools and techniques to move forward in a life free from violence.
The other group offered is a week long summer camp for current or past clients, giving them the opportunity to build positive peer relationships and social skills.
The Community Child and Youth worker is also available to provide education in the form of speaking engagements around the issues of family violence, healthy relationships and woman abuse.